I found a bunch of samples of different art boards I had sent away for eons ago. They were all held together with a long plastic screw (it was similar to a book binding or scrapbooking post – of course, I saved it). After trimming the parts of the board that were either dented or had writing on it I had this piece left that is about 6 ¼” tall and about 4 ¼” wide. I wanted to make something folksy and colorful – I am having a BLAST using bright colors, which is something I am totally new at. My décor and clothes consist of basic neutrals – lots of olive green, black, white; pretty boring pallet but after all this experimenting with color who knows what it will inspire me to do! I just got my order of Sizzix dies that I scored during their huge 4rth of July sale and also wanted to play with my new dies so I figured out how I could incorporate it all together. I am fighting a yucky head cold so I hope this tutorial makes sense - LOL. Here are the products I used:
- Piece of Foam Board
- Golden Fluid Acrylic paint in Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Teal & Titanium White
- Distress Paints in Wild Honey & Mowed Grass
- Home May You Find Comfort & Rest sentiment from Wendy Vecchi Homemade Art set
- A piece of scrap cardboard (I used flimsy all white cardboard – one step thicker than cardstock)
- Distress Ink in Frayed Burlap
- Tim Holtz Movers & Shakers Die – Mini Openings
- Sharpies – Dark Brown and Magenta
- Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black
- Heart Corner Punch from All Night Media (it has a total of 5 little hearts and they bracket your corner)
- Scrap of Text Paper (I used packaging from a 7 Gypsies product)
- Piece of Clear Plastic (I used packaging from one of the dies I bought)
- Scrap of Brown Paper (for the “frame” under the sentiment)
- Scrap of Red Card Stock (for the Heart Corner Punch)
First, I mixed the ultramarine blue and titanium white together and painted the background to look like the sky. I painted the board about ¾ of the way down, then used some cobalt teal diluted with titanium white to sort of end the sky; then used my Distress Paint in mowed grass at the very bottom. I just used the dauber and swiped it across the edge of the board. For the clouds, I loaded a small paint brush with titanium white only and just kinda dabbed it around to give the clouds some fluffiness.
I then cut out my openings using the Mini Openings die – I knew I wanted the half moon window over the door so I positioned the dies accordingly. I cut out the square opening on another piece of cardboard to use as the roof and used the window pane die cut separately since I wanted to mount the window onto the “house”. I cut out the square “house” with the 2 openings in it (it’s about 2 3/8” wide and 2 ¼” tall) and then angled the piece of cardboard with the square cut out for the roof (I just used a ruler – on the other side of the cardstock – and made a triangle so I could be sure the square opening was were I wanted it and that the roof was big enough to fit over the house the way I wanted it). I painted the house with wild honey Distress Paint and used the direct to paper technique for the roof- just pouncing the frayed burlap on the triangle until I got a pattern I liked. I heat set both the house and the roof. I colored the window pane with a magenta Sharpie.
Taking a piece of clear plastic from my stash of packaging I cut out little squares to fit behind the square window in the roof, the half moon window in the house and the window pane die cut. I stamped the Wendy Vecchi “Home may you find comfort & rest” in Jet Black ink on the back of a piece of 7 Gypsies cardboard that was used in packaging product because I liked the illusion of text under the stamp. I then mounted it on a small piece of brown card stock to frame the sentiment. I also cut out little squares to fit behind the square window and the window pane. I took the die cut of the door and colored it with a Sharpie in dark brown.
Next, I took the clear plastic I had cut out and adhered it to the half moon window, the window pane & the square window. Using a scrap of white card stock I glued one of the little hearts from the heart corner punch on it, and then glued that onto the plastic I had cut for that window. Subsequently I took the text background and glued it to the specific clear plastic for the square window and the window pane then glued that to the back of the windows. I glued the window pane, roof and door to the house. I set my roof “over” the house, so it sat on the house like a hat. Adhered the sentiment mounted on the brown card stock to the board. Finally, I took the remaining little hearts from the corner punch on the board where ever I felt they added some splash.
Since this project only uses one stamp I am going to enter it the Simon Says Stamp Challenge “A Little Stamping”. Thanks for looking and I hope you like my project!
|It's kinda quirky, but I like it :)|