Followers

Monday, December 1, 2014

Button Christmas Tree for Altered Electrics Design Team



For my very first challenge at Altered Electrics I decided to make something that Pinterest inspired me to make.  First, here is my version:
My version

 As I browse through the hundreds of images - and waste lose so much time (hey, it’s for inspiration!) - I came across these beautiful trees made out of jewelry – like this:
Pinterest Inspiration
I do have some jewelry that could be used in this way, but I have many more buttons.  I recently got some of burlap panels by Tim Holtz and I think they are perfect for a project like this.  So, let’s get started!

Burlap Panel, 6 x 4, Tim Holtz TH93063
Holiday Words: Script die set from Tim Holtz Alterations 660058
Pale Gold Shimmery Paper
Remnant Word Band from Idea-ology (Tim Holtz) Observations Set TH93084
Buttons
Adhesive
Distress Paint in Picket Fence
Star (mine was from some table scatter that I had already colored gold)
Most of the components - I used a different gold paper for the die cut
I have my buttons sorted by color (sort of) and I knew I wanted a vintage look so I grabbed my white, cream and light brown buttons. I have been collecting buttons for ages and I have so many I had to stop! I literally just began placing them on the panel until I got the tree shape I wanted.  The hardest part was choosing which button to use as the trunk of the tree! And I remembered I had gotten some table scatter shapes, so I dug those out and the gold star fit perfectly on the tree! 

Once I settled on the tree shape and glued the buttons down I got started on deciding what else I wanted to put on the panel.  I suppose it would have been fine if I left it alone, or used some Christmas embellishments, but I wanted to
Awesome Die Cut Set!
be able to display it all year long.  I recently bought the Holiday Words die set (the same time I got the burlap panels – I got tons of other goodies as well, all from my favorite store, Alleystamp ) and I felt that peace is appropriate all year long, so I used that die and some pale gold shimmery paper that I got eons ago to cut the word out of.  Trying to get glue on the back of that word made me so happy I have toothpicks in my studio!

So I had one embellishment chosen, what should I put on top? I had the Tim Holtz Word Band already on my desk (part of my use up old stuff quest) and since the project sort of looked like a remnant, that word would be perfect!  I dabbed some Distress Ink in Picket Fence on the band to bring out the letters a tiny bit and wiped it off. I actually did this a few times to get the look I wanted.  Once the buttons were dry I attached the Word Band to the top of the panel and the peace die cut to the bottom and there you have it!  This project was super easy and SO much fun, I’m glad I have 3 more of the panels to play with. I hope you will join us at Altered Eclectics during our 2 month "Anything Goes" challenge and do come back and visit soon! Fondly, Christi
I would like to enter my Button Christmas Tree in the following challenges:
Completely Christmas - #40, Anything Goes
Craft Hoarders Anonymous - #21, Celebrate the Season (the buttons I used are OLD - I have had them for ages!!)
Crimbo Crackers - #70, Buttons
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge -Anything Goes






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)