Followers

Friday, March 17, 2017

Happy Birthday!

Seems birthdays are popping up like the weeds are! I am trying to be better at sending birthday cards this year.  This card was made from a background that I made myself.  I hope you like it! 




What I Used to Make my Card:
White Card Base
Watercolor Paper
Kaleidacolor Pad in Spectrum
Red Lead Paperworks Story Stamps "A Handmade Story" (discontinued)
Embossing Fluid
White Detail Embossing Powder from Simon Says Stamp
Clean Color Markers in Violet, Light Violet, Persian Blue, Orange, Pink, Carmine Red, May Green and Yellow
Paper Smooches Wise Dies, Streamers, #KFBD029
Quietfire Designs Happy Birthday Plain & Simple, #5899
MISTI
Pop Dots

I've seen so many cards using white embossing powder and watercolor that I had to try it.  It took me a while to find a flower that was small enough to work in the design I wanted and, unfortunately, the stamp set is discontinued.  I'm sure you have something you could use; it doesn't have to be a flower. I struggled a bit with placement as it's hard to see where you have already stamped with the embossing ink.  Even with the slight pink tint mine has it wasn't easy.  Luckily, I didn't over stamp and once the white detail embossing powder was on and heated up I was very pleased with the background.  I used the tried and true scribble and watercolor technique but instead of using a detail water brush I used an actual brush.  I don't know the number (most of my brushes are so old all distinguishing marks are long gone) but it was tiny.  I then added more color to the inside of the flower and blended it out a bit.  You can see what I mean in the photo above.


Another Look
After the background was done I didn't do anything with it for a while.  I worked so hard on it, and while I totally enjoyed coloring the flowers, I didn't want to use it as just any old card.  Then I realized that a very good friend had a birthday coming up on St. Patrick's Day (that'd be NanaConnie - Visit her blog and say Happy Birthday - I'll wait.)  Perfect use of the watercolor background I made! I just mounted the panel on a white card and then made the Happy Birthday banner using a Kaleidacolor pad, my MISTI and the Paper Smooches dies.  I just have to say, while Kaleidacolor pads may initially seem expensive compared to other ink pads I have had my Spectrum pad since I started stamping.  That's about 19 years now and I have never had to reink it or had any problem with it.  Pretty good deal if you ask me.  Anyway, I attached the banner die cut on the card using Pop Dots.  

I loved making this background so much I ordered some stamp sets specifically for the little flowers and leaves - they should be so cool using this technique! Another one I've seen around lately is using colored pencils on Kraft cardstock. I haven't tried that one yet but the results I've seen are spectacular.  Thank you so much for stopping by - I appreciate your visits, comments and support.  Did you know I am on Pinterest? And, I am trying to figure out Instagram (yes, I am feeling old right about now.)  Let's connect! Fondly, Christi

PS: Happy St. Patrick's Day :) 

I am entering my Happy Birthday card in the following challenges:
Make My Monday - #41, Colors of the Rainbow
Die Cuttin' Diva's - #308, Rainbow
Inky Chicks - #80, Flowers
The Flower Challenge - #6, Anything Goes w/ Flowers (#2)
STAMPlorations Monthly Challenge - (M) Sketch and/or Spring (I used Spring) 
DL ART Thankful Thursday - #200, Flowers (#2)


11 comments:

  1. I adore this card, Christi! Fabulous bright colors and such perfect heat embossing. Your descriptions are wonderful and I can follow them line for line. Thanks so much. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you receive the card?? I hoped you'd get it before I made this post :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! So pretty! Thanks for joining us at Die Cutting Divas this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty rainbow colored card!! Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are so great. Thanks for joining DCD in our rainbow challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty card!!!
    Thanks for joining Die Cuttin' Divas this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card!! Thanks for joining us at DCD this week!
    Have a great day.
    Gerda
    http://cardscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty card Christi, all those little flowers and each coloured so perfectly too.Thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge' and we hope to see you again soon ;) Viv DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this card, beautiful little flowers all over, so so pretty. Thank you so much for joing us at The Flower Challenge Aileen DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely background you've created. Your card is perfect! I just became your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)