Followers

Monday, October 15, 2018

My Spooky Haunted House

I make at least one 3D project every Halloween and this is one of this year's creations.  I actually put the house together last year, but I made it after Halloween.  I simply set it up on my bookcase and waited not so patiently for this year to roll around.  I did add all the little embellishments to the house this year, I guess I needed a break after making it! This post is wordy, so grab a snack; you just might get stuck in the Haunted House!


What I Used to Make my Haunted House:
Black Cardstock 
Tim Holtz/Sizzx Village Dwelling, #660992
Tim Holtz/Sizzx Village Manor, #661591
Tim Holtz/Idea-o-logy Paper Dolls, Ancestors, #TH93723
Acetate
Alcohol Ink in Butterscotch, #TIM21964 {any antique looking color would work}
Grey Card
Silver Brads {small}
Assorted Spooky Stuff from My Stash {pumpkin, ghost}
The bat & the black cat were gifts 

I love little houses!  I remember as a child we used to have a entire village set
Top of the House - the bat has
sparkly eyes
up at Christmas time on top of television set - yes, back in the day when you actually could put stuff on your television!  I enjoy Halloween much more than any holiday, so instead of making another Putz house, I made this house.  And I am not giving this one away!

Front of the House

I didn't take any pictures during the construction of my house, mostly because I honestly wasn't sure it would even be blog worthy.  Thank goodness I didn't try to make a video - it would have been full of beeps!  I admire people who can craft something like this without a bump in the road; my road was so bumpy I could barely stay on it!  But, all the work, aggravation, irritation, and swearing was worth it. I also knew that the lovely and talented Tim Holtz had put out videos on making these houses, so why duplicate efforts?  

Here is the video that Tim put out to make the initial Village Dwelling - if you don't have these dies and want to get them, watch this video first {plus, do a Google search on both of them; there are multiple places to purchase them much more cheaply than the above link to Sizzix.}  I went & bought the extender pads before I watched this video {I didn't know that much about die cutting and I knew I wanted these dies to work perfectly} because it turns out you don't need to spend the extra money - I honestly don't even know where mine are.  Also, here's the video Tim did using the Village Manor, which is much better than any pictures I could have taken.  
Poor guy!

Once the house was constructed, I used the alcohol ink to age some acetate, cut it up into squares, and taped it behind all the windows.  I was initially going to put a battery tea light inside, but the way the house is made doesn't allow for one where I wanted to put it.  When the light was at the bottom, you could barely see it, so that idea was out.  Instead, I put a man in one window and some feisty looking witches on the side of the house.  I found the brads, black cat, pumpkin, and ghost figure in my stash. I suspect the pumpkin is a Tim Holtz/Idea-o-logy product from a bit back.  I LOVE Halloween so much, I buy a ton of little embellishments and then pack them away.  I have the "I don't want to use this in case I can never find it
again" syndrome when I try to use any of them.  So, they sit, year after year, packed up so nicely.  And every year I swear I'm going to use them.  Ha ha ha - I lie to myself too much!  In any case, once the last details were adhered to the house, I was done.  

I thank you for stopping by to read my post.  I can't really call this a tutorial as I didn't really tell you how to make anything but, at the very least, you got to see that the house can be made! Have a wonderful day ~ fondly, Christi

I am entering my Spooky Haunted House in the following challenges:
Die Cut Diva's - M, Autumn and Halloween
Dream in Darkness - M, HALLOWEEN!!!
Scrap from Your Heart - M, #26, Use Dies
Dies R Us - #107. Anything Fall 
Crop Stop - M, Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything But a Card {entry 2}
Frilly and Funkie - Haunted Halloween

10 comments:

  1. OMG this is just AMAZING Christi!! Love it! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Anything FALL’ challenge at Dies R Us. Good Luck and please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the details you included in your 3D house! So very happy you linked this up to the Cropstop blog this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is simply fantastic! I can see a lot of thought and work went into this project! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Diva's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful project. I can see why you would have been tired after making it, but there it was ready to decorate this year. Thanks for sharing it with us at Dies R Us Challenge Blog.
    Kathy
    DRU DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, the house is incredible. So glad you are sharing this marvelous project with us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous haunted house...love it!! Thank you for joining our challenge at Dies R Us!
    Diane DRU DT {Nellies Nest}

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I am so impressed! So many detalis, incredible! Thank you so much for joining us at Scrap From Your Heart! Hugz from DT Anita :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a spooktacular haunted mansion! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie Haunted Halloween Challenge. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project, love the inhabitants you've placed inside and outside. Thank you for sharing your art at Dream in Darkness.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)