Followers

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Sympathy. . 2018 Cat Lovers Hop, Day 4

Thanks for joining me on Day 4 of the Cat Lovers Hop 2018!





You can check out all the details here {link to the FAQ and Info page}, at Her Peaceful Garden {this is the link to the main hop page}! Hope you can join in, there are tons of fabulous prizes!  This is a sad one, so get some tissues 😢

My two best friends in the whole world lost their pets in a two week time span.  Tom had to put his dog, Bear, down due to a suspected tumor in his spinal column.  Rather suddenly, Bear, who was about 5 years old and 17 pounds, stopped jumping to greet people, he wouldn't get on the couch, wouldn't eat, and generally seemed to be in a bad way.  Not two days after he began to exhibit these symptoms, Tom noticed that he was beginning to drag his hind legs.  Unfortunately, the tumor had grown and was now either pressing on his spine or a disc and essentially paralyzing him.  There was nothing that could be done. 

Diane's cat was 17 years old and she had stomach cancer.  Kitteny went to meet Bear and all the others a week after her diagnosis.  Now, Tom is a "manly man" and I know he would not appreciate a sympathy card {plus, he & I live about 15 minutes from each other} while Diane lives back East and I know she needs all the support she can get. I needed to express my feelings about both of these unfortunate events, so I made Diane a card.





What I Used to Make my Card:
White Card Base
KaiserCraft Fairy Garden, 6.5" x 6.5" pad, #PP1039
Distress Ink in Hickory Smoke
Simon Says Stamp, Pawprints on our Hearts Stamp Set, #SSS101425
Simon Says Stamp With Sympathy Die, #SSSD111360
Grey Card
Altenew Modern Cats Stamps & Dies {already colored and cut}

I was pleased that I had the beautiful clouds paper - I felt it worked perfectly with the message I was trying to convey.  I had colored and stamped the cat long ago {as I tend to stamp and color more card pieces than I need - I've ruined far too many projects when I don't have extras!} so once I glued the patterned paper to the white card, then put it under the infamous tile I have on my desk to dry overnight, I decided what I wanted to stamp onto the card, the ink I wanted to use, and cut out the "with sympathy" sentiment, I was done until later.

Once that card base was dry and checked for naughty peeling paper, I stamped directly onto the upper left corner of the card "Cats leave pawprints on our hearts" and glued the "with sympathy" die cut to the bottom right hand corner. 


The cat was put across from the die cut and she was glued down as well.  I have to confess, I have a terrible phobia of stamping directly onto papers when  I have a limited supply of them, and thank goodness I used my Stamp Platform.  I can't even begin to tell you how many things I messed up in the old days due to the placement being crooked or the ink not being dark enough, or not fully filled in.  I am slowly starting to realize that these fabulous inventions, whichever kind you favor, aren't going to let you fail if you take the time to line things up; you can stamp as much as needed without worrying about the ink not completely transferring to your paper.  Wish *I* had thought about {and invented things} to make our lives {as crafters} easier!

I did use the stamp that comes with the Altenew set inside the card.  It just reads "So sorry about the loss of your Cat", but I was so anxious to get this into the mail {it took her birthday card 3 months to get to her but another item I mailed only three days!} since I didn't know if it was going on the same trip as her birthday card or not, that I forgot to take a quick picture.  No worries as you can click the link above, under How I Made my Card, and see all the sentiments that both these fantastic sets offer.  Regardless of the sad nature of the card, I do like it.  I think the gray compliments the colors in the sky very well.  What do you think? Do you have a standard Sympathy card? 

Even though this isn't a happy card, Diane loved it.  I am going to enter it into the Cat Lovers Hop that is held every year by Janis who owns Her Peaceful Garden.  It's a fabulous hop, with tons of great prizes and cat cards!  I hope you can join us - I'll be playing every day from October 22 to the 27, 2018.

Thanks for stopping by! Christi

I am entering my Sympathy card in the following challenges:
2018 Cat Lovers Hop
The House that Stamps Built - #02418, Anything Goes
Crafty Creations - #377, Anything Goes
TTCRD - Always Anything Goes
SUYP - #35, Anything Goes with a Cat
CraftyHazelnut's Pattern Paper Challenge - M, Anything Goes
Sunny Day Crafting - M, Anything Goes w/Animals

26 comments:

  1. Losing a companion -- dog or cat -- is devastating. This card is touching and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utterly magnificent sky, Christi! You chose well, my friend. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so touching. It's hard to lose a pet companion. They are such big parts of our lives. My sympathies to your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and touching card! I am so sorry your friends lost their furbabies, it hurts my heart for them. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Hugs, Joy
    craftycreationschallenges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really touched my heart. I so sorry for your friends' loss, it just awful to loose a family member. THe heart just hurts. I'm sure your friend was very comforted by this gesture and beautiful card

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, losing a pet always breaks my heart and even hearing about others reminds me of how tough it is. This is a beautiful card and the cloud background is so perfect. I'm with you on dreading stamping directly on paper so the stamp platforms save my sanity as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always painful losing a pet. The card is lovely with those clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, so sorry to hear about your friends' loses. How sad. This is just a beautiful card and I know she will appreciate it x
    Thank you for purring along to play at SUYP Cats Challenges
    Hugz
    IKE x

    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog
    FB Fan Page
    Cat Lovers Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my!!! This card really touched my heart!!! Love this beautiful background!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cloud paper is beautiful and really makes this touching sympathy card extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How devastating it is to lose one's fur baby. This is such a touching was to reach out to your friend. Beautiful card! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card, Christi. I love the beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sympathy cards are never easy to make. Yours is perfect - the sky background is beautiful and the die cut and stamped sentiments are perfect. Sorry for both your friends' losses. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so sweet! I do think the cloud paper is perfect for the feeling of calm and peace it evokes. Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely cat sympathy card and the cloud paper is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loss a pet is always a very sad moment... Really they print their paws on our heart. Your card is so sweet, love it and I'm sure your friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no, Christi, I am so sorry to read this sad news for your friends. I know how it hurts to lose a beloved kitty and I still haven't gotten over it from 14 years ago. My Muffin kitty is still deep in my heart. Your card is beautiful and the cloud background is very fitting. Love this card.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Losing a pet is heartbreaking and as much as people tell me that we will get over it! I don't believe them as I still cry many times when I think of my 3 little ones that have passed on. It's been a year and bit since "Boo" passed away our most recent loss and I still miss her warm body sitting on my lap watching T.V. Still miss Patience who passed away about 7 or 8 years ago as well. He used to jump up on the bed and tuck me in at night and make sure that I was breathing OK before he would settle down for the night. And I miss Perky his brother, who would curl up and sleep on me at night and then give me the most amazing little backrubs in the morning before I started my day.

    Your card is very beautiful and I'm sure your friend will love it very much!

    Thanks so much for being a part of the 2018 Cat Lovers Hop!!!
    rstevensoncreations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautifully created card for someone that has lost their precious pet. Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Crafty Creations Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is such a beautiful card! I love the paper you used as the background. It is purfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry for that weird cut and paste....I guess I am still having a spot of trouble with commenting!!

    So sorry to hear of your friends losing their dear pets...more than just pets, dear friends and family members! This cat sympathy card is one of most lovely ones I have ever seen. Love that sky background...so perfect for this thoughtful card.

    My weird internet connection is finally letting me leave comments again....I thought! Thank you so much for being a part of the 2018 Cat Lovers Hop!!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for entering our CraftyHazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge for October and good luck!
    Monica - DT

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so very happy you linked your sweet sympathy card up to the Anything Goes challenge over at The House That Stamps Built!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)