Followers

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Halloween Shadow Box & May Arts Ribbon Halloween Crafts Challenge

I had a shadow box frame I had bought at a hobby store ages ago & it’s been hanging around my craft room getting in my way so I decided to use it to make a project out of some scrumptious May Arts Ribbon I had gotten so I could play in their  Halloween Crafts Challenge  - please go take a look at the amazing creations that other artists made for this challenge; and, if you leave a comment about which project is your favorite you will be in the running to win some ribbon for yourself!  

The wooden frame did have a glass front but I took that out and will use it another time.  I gessoed the frame and then painted it with Lumiere Pewter acrylic paint – if you have never worked with Lumiere paint it is the most beautiful metallic acrylic paint I have ever seen & the colors are amazing! It is made by Jacquard Products and I strongly suggest you get a bottle – there are SO many colors and color combinations you can choose from & you can find them online or in art stores; I’ve seen them priced any where from $3.50 to $5.00, a pretty good deal since the small bottles are 2.25 fluid ounces and can last you a while.  Anyway. . .

Skelly's hanging with his bird friend
I had this very long old necklace I had gotten from a friend of my mother’s who was cleaning out her jewelry – the necklace had been broken once and there was a knot in it or I probably would have kept it to wear – but I cut it and used a length on each side of the box.  I altered a Dollar Tree skeleton (I had to cut him apart & rearrange him a bit) gave him a Dollar Tree bird buddy (who was painted with black acrylic paint long before this project) and made him a festive hat out of some of the May Arts ribbon.  I also added some ruby red gems to his eye sockets so he'd be that much scarier.
                                                                                           
And a close up of his scary eyes & cute hat


For the back of the box I painted the panel with Golden Quinacridone Violet with some Golden Micaceous Iron Oxide mixed in (gives it a shimmer that you can't see in the pictures) and then I put some of the spider web ribbon on the top (doesn’t this ribbon rock!?!). I then cut out the Happy Halloween, in orange card stock with my Silhouette Cameo machine & glued it to a piece of the silky black ribbon and attached that below the spider web ribbon. 
My Bat
I had the metal pumpkin in my stash, attached that to the back panel.  I had made the bat already; he is from a mold I made with Amazing Mold Putty (the original of the bat is a metal stamping I have) and then he was cast out of Amazing Clear Cast Resin. I painted him with Golden Carbon Black and attached him to the top of the shadow box.  Done! 

DONE!
I love LOVE this box – it has to be one of the projects I am most proud of and it went together like a dream!  It started as one of those ideas that just seem to sprout wings and all the elements just flocked together (get it? Wings, flock? LOL).  I hope you enjoyed my project & I encourage you to visit both the May Arts Blog & Amazing Mold Putty (find the links within the post). 
I knew I had a better picture of the entire box!

I’d like to enter this shadow box in the following challenges:

15 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW I love all of the elements and different paints you used- this is outstanding- I can see why you are happy with it! And he hat on the skeleton- so very fun! Thanks for playing along with the Drunken Stampers this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shadow box is amazing, Christi! I love the hat you made for the skeleton. Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous shadow box! Thanks for sharing it with us at Anything But a Card this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous shadow box, Christi! That party hat for the skeleton had me laughing! Thanks for playing along with the Drunken Stampers wood challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous creation Christi, your treatment of the frame is stunning. Your background is stunning and what fun elements - love the 'cute' skeleton!!!

    Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    hugs
    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous frame! The orange party hat is so funny! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. very spooky.

    Thanks for playing in our challenge!
    ♥ Carolyn
    DT Member for Creative Cutting Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christi I just LOVE your frame. What a clever to alter a wooden frame. They can often be found cheap at dollar stores. Love your decorating of the frame and all you put inside. I agree with you on Lumiere paint. They are fabolous !!!
    Thanks a lot for sharing your creativity.
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful piece of spooky home decor! Perfect for Halloween!
    Thanks for joining us at The Ribbon Reel this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting combination of elements and colours you used in your shadow box creation Christi! Such good fun. Thank you for joining in at Anything but a card this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely stunning...all the details and work that went into this....just magical!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool and spooky embellishments! Love your frame! Thanks for joining us at Drunken Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spooky shadow box..thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a great shadow box! Thanks for joining us at Creative Cutting Challenge. Good luck and we hope to see you again soon!!
    Cindy
    DT Leader

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your repurposed Halloween frame is darling! Huge congrats on your being selected as our recipient of our random $50.00 credit voucher drawing at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)