Followers

Friday, January 24, 2014

Snowflake Votive Holder



I have wanted to do a 3D project since I got my Silhouette CAMEO and I thought this was a perfect opportunity.  I also get to showcase one of my absolute favorite accents sets from Globecraft & Piccolo - Bejeweled Snowflakes!

This post is a little photo heavy but I really wanted to showcase how I made the project.

Globecraft & Piccolo Items Used:
1 set of Bejeweled Snowflakes Accents, LA100 

Other Items:
1 piece heavy cardstock, 12 x 12, white
1 piece heavy cardstock, approx 7 x 7, white (for top)
2 pieces of Denami Design Colored Cardstock in Iridescent Gold
4 pieces of regular Vellum, 2 ½” x 2 ½”
Krylon Gold Leafing Pen
Double Stick Tape
Glue
5 Gold Beads
Cutfile for a 4” x 4” box, with top (I put the 1 ¾” x 1 ¾” windows on myself)
Cutfile for the frame
1 Battery Operated Votive**


**DO NOT USE A Candle – it will burn & cause a fire!

The votive holder all cut and ready to go!
First thing I did was search for a lantern/votive holder cutfile that was fairly small knowing I wanted to use the Large Snowflakes in the Bejeweled Snowflakes Accents set as the focal point, but I couldn’t find any that suited my vision, so I made my own!  I used a regular cutfile of a small box with a lid and just added the windows to it.  Sounds easy but I am new at playing with files and it actually took me longer to get the right sized windows, and many, many votive holders cut, before I hit upon the right size.  Once I had the votive holder body and top cut out the real fun began.

Coloring the Snowflake Strips
I started by coloring the snowflake strips (after I cut them in two, 5 snowflakes each strip) with the Krylon Gold Leafing Pen.  After they dried, I dotted them with the 3D Enamel Gel in Satin Gold in the center of each snowflake. 

Adding the 3D Enamel Gel in Satin Gold
Then I turned my attention to the 4 large Snowflakes.  I coated them with the Enamel & EmbossingPowder Adhesive Fluid (IMPORTANT!! Do NOT Squeeze The Fluid – this will cause the top to pop off and you will create an amazing mess! All you need is to tap the fluid onto whatever you wish to emboss, the little dauber thing will refill naturally – and I am PROUD to say I haven’t popped my top!) and embossed them using Aged White Embossing Enamel (don’t forget to roll your enamel before you use it – that will ensure the colors are mixed properly). NOTE: Since the Snowflakes are very detailed the embossing enamel may clog some of the holes – just use a toothpick and poke it out!  
 
A close up of the Snowflake embossed

Showing some bling!
This color is fantastic! It has little bits of metallic goodness mixed in with the white powder and it really sparkles! I put the Large Snowflakes aside to cool.

I then cut my vellum and attached it to the inside of the windows in the box.  Since vellum is tricky to use glue with I used double stick tape, just the regular red kind.  It’s very important that nothing gets on the vellum because you will see it when the holder is lit (and I am sure if I tried to use glue I would get it on the vellum.  In fact, I even washed my hands and used a clean piece of scrap paper to ensure the vellum would stay clean).
 
The windows taped with the double stick tape

And the windows covered with the vellum

Then I attached the Large Snowflakes to the outside of the windows.  I lined them up so they would be the same no matter what window was looked at.

All the Embossed Snowflakes attached to the holder

 
Close Up of the attached Snowflake
The next step was to figure out what I wanted to add to the sides of the box, around the windows, because it looked very plain to me.  I used another cutfile to make frames out of thin (lightweight) metallic paper. Once I had the four frames cut I glued them to the sides using them to frame the snowflakes.  Be sure to keep one of the insides of the frame you use!  

The frame framing a Snowflake
I assembled the top and gathered my colored & dotted Snowflake Strips.  I put one strip on each side of the top and used one of the innies from the frame cutfile on the very top.  

Assembling the top
The Top with the Filled in Gold Bead and "innie"

I also used one of the gold beads to serve as a handle so you can open the holder without having to touch the top.  The bead I used had a hole in the center, which will be fine for the feet, but I didn’t like the look of it on the top since you could see the hole.  I solved this issue by putting a few drops of the 3D Enamel Gel in Satin Gold, letting it dry, then adding more.  I did this about four times to “fill” in the hole.

The final step is to assemble to actual box.  I used glue and hinge clips to hold the sides together and I put 2 sides together at a time. The same steps I used to put together the top.

**REMEMBER – DO NOT USE a candle in your creation – it WILL cause a fire.  Use a battery operated votive!

The bottom of the holder & the top
I put my battery operated votive in the holder and lit it up.  I think this came out amazingly well for my first 3D project and makes a lovely winter centerpiece or decoration.


 
The Finished Holder



   
All lit up!



A close up, lit but it's hard to tell
This reminds me of the paper bag luminaries that people would put out on their walkways and such back in the day.  I know people still use them, but I think the old ones were so beautiful!
 
I have 2 other projects to share that used the same Bejeweled Snowflake Accents set – three projects out of ONE set! Be on the look out!
Thanks for stopping by!  Don’t forget to bookmark the Globecraft & Piccolo blog and stop in daily to see more creative ways to use the Globecraft & Piccolo products!  Also, check out our sister company, Sweet Stamps, for some fabulous rubber stamps!

And here is a really good look at what the votive holder would look in the dark - I couldn't resist sharing this picture :)
 If you would like the cutfile I will happily send it to you - just leave a note in the comments section with your email.  The files will be sent to you in .STUDIO form as I don't know how to change files back to .SVG yet.

I would like to enter my Votive Holder into the following challenges:
Brown Sugar Challenge - #78, Embossing
Challenges and Candies - #26, Monochromatic
It's All About The Vintage - #60, Embossing
4 Crafty Chicks - #178, Bling 
Silhouette Challenges - #9, Anything Goes

Thank you for sticking with me on this longer than usual post ~ blessings to you & yours! 

6 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at It's all about the vintage and beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is BEAUTIFUL! Great job on your first 3D project. Thanks for playing with us a 4 Crafty Chicks. Hope to see you again next week.
    Tina -DT member @ 4CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW, what a fantastic project you made! I like all details :-))
    Thank you for playing along with us at "Izazovi i Slatkiši" and I hope to see you again hun.
    Hugs, Andreja

    (remember you must be a follower of our blog to be able to win prizes)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snowflakes are beautiful and your project is fabulous. Well Done. Thanks for sharing with us at Craftitude Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christi you project is beautiful and brilliantly explained. You didn't say where you got the box you used to add the windows to but I just wanted to warn you that a lot of designers do not allow you to alter there designs in any way for either personal or commercial use. Thanks for sharing with us at Silhouette Challenges this month.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning project. Thanks for the tutorial and we are so happy, you decided to join us at Izazovi i sladkiši.
    Hugs, Keti

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)