Translate

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Love Potion #9 at Altered Eclectics

Wow does time fly! My last project for Altered Eclectics was 2 months ago (a break supplied by the gracious Ellapu, our esteemed leader) but it seems like yesterday! I am not a huge fan of Valentine's Day as I think every day should be celebrated with chocolate, especially dark chocolate (let me know if you'd like to send me some).  So, instead of going the way of the romantic, I decorated this little bottle:
After
Before



















What I Used to Make my Project:
Bottle (in my stash - I seem to collect them!)
Alcohol Inks (I used TRIA inks, colors: Rhodamine Red, Warm Red 2X and 1925)
Black Vinyl
Silhouette Cameo
Cork (for the bottle top)
Black Ribbon Bow


Colored with the cork in.  See the cool pink shadow?
Easy peasy I thought - I use alcohol inks a fair amount and I figured coloring this bottle would go without a hitch. I thought I'd try to color the bottle inside as opposed to coloring the outside - nope.  I colored the inside of the bottle 2 times, swirling the ink to cover the inside completely and then letting it dry overnight and each time the ink refused to stick to the inside of the bottle - it ran down the sides, leaving little teeny dots of color and pooling on the bottom.  I even tried to dry the inside of the bottle with my heat gun (which made these awesome howling sounds that the cats did NOT like but it was funny because they all puffed up and ran around like secret agents) but it still would not stick.  So, after wasting 2 days, I went back to the tried and true method of grabbing a small piece of felt and daubing the ink on the outside.  After each layer of ink I let the bottle dry for a good amount of
time, a few hours, and then I daubed the second layer and so on.  You can't really tell the different colors and that was what I wanted.  While waiting for the bottle to try I realized there was no top so I found a cork that fit and colored it with Sharpie markers to sort of match the bottle.

Then came time to cut the vinyl for the saying.  It took me 3 days to choose the font that I felt worked with the saying.  I am a font fanatic and have far too many - but it was fun and I found a few more that I want to try on paper. Using my Silhouette Cameo. I cut the saying out of black vinyl and stuck it to the bottle, after tearing the first "L" and cutting it again. I am still very new at cutting vinyl, and while it is much more forgiving than paper, I am still learning, as you can tell by my wonky placed LOVE.  I glued the black ribbon bow onto the neck and I was done.  I like it even with a little wonk!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I just wanted to mention that I am having trouble with replying to comments, for some reason there are some that have to reply option on Blogger so please know that if I don't comment it isn't because I didn't see or appreciate your taking the time to say hi.  Fondly, Christi
Another view
Thank you SO much for coming to visit and I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial! Please consider following me as I am on a mission to gain 100 followers ~ Til next time ~ Christi

I am entering my Love Potion #9 bottle in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes
DL. Art Thankful Thursday Challenge - #149, Valentine's Day 
Crafty Ribbons Challenge - Anything but a Card
Silhouette Challenges - January Challenge, Anything Goes
Not Just Cards Challenge - #11, Anything Goes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think - and be sure to leave your blog info so I can come and visit you ~ Thanks!