Followers

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Shaker Stars of the Season


My favorite part of the winter holiday season is all the lights, sparkle, and bling! Because I have the Fabulous Feline Four, it's been ages since I've put out any decorations; this year I've decided to make my cards extra festive!  This card not only sparkles, it uses nesting dies to make a very easy shaker card.

What I Used to Make my Card:
White Card Base
White Card 
Authentique Paper, Wintery, 12 x 12, #WIN011
Die-Versions Whispers Stitched Nesting Stars, #DV-571
Die-Versions Sweet Wordlets, Season's Greetings, #DVSW-013
White Glitter Paper
Silver Glitter Paper
Acetate 
Sequins - Darice Clear-Crystal, 5 mm, #10043-8
              Darice Iridescent White, 5 mm, #10043-17
Twinklets Diamond Dust {manufactured by FloraCraft}
Thin Cardboard {if desired}
Krylon Leafing Pen in Silver {if desired}

I had gotten the Authentique paper a while back and I am so glad I did! There are all kinds of frosty patterned papers and I couldn't resist using one of them for this card.  I glued the paper on to my card base and set it under my drying tile for overnight.  


Meanwhile, I set about making the shaker.  I use temporary tape on many of my cutting dies as I don't have the magnetic platform that is supposed to make the dies stay where you put them {do you have one? Does it work? Please leave me a comment!} so I just set the nesting stars up so I'd get a "frame."  The only thing I have to watch is the tape un-sticking which can result in the dies moving.  That can cause an uneven frame, but in this case, even when the I had to line the dies up again, the margin of error is fairly tiny.  Once the die was run through the machine, I used a toothpick to poke out the frame. 

I die cut a bunch of frames out of white card and added a few cardboard frames as well,  to get the frame higher faster. It's not a must, but the cardboard also gives the design a bit more sturdiness than using plain card.  I layered a few of the card frames, then added a cardboard one and repeated the sequence a few times, leaving out one white frame.  Since I did use cardboard, once the frame was dry, I edged the sides with a silver leafing pen to cover up the cardboard.  

Finally, I used the two stars not used in making the frame, {using white glitter
card} cut them out and placed them on the card.  I used silver glitter card to die cut the sentiment.  I cut the window out of some acetate packaging, attached that to the frame tower and adhered the frame of white card I had set aside.  I didn't want the shaker to be too full, so I carefully added some sequins and Twinklets Diamond Dust.  Honestly, that Diamond Dust has got to be 15 years old and I had forgotten I even had it! I was surprised to see they still made it; the cool thing is that the dust is shard shaped {and according to the website has actual glass in it, but I didn't have any issue using my fingers} and that just makes it sparkle like crazy!
Another Look
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and may you find some forgotten goodies in your stash! 
Don't forget to join in on all the fun at the Dies R Us Challenge Blog.  
There's  a new challenge theme offered on the 1st and 15th of each month
 and one lucky  randomly drawn winner will receive a gift voucher prize to 
the Dies R Us Store.  For your convenience, all the important Dies R Us 
links are provided below.

Thanks so much for stopping by!  
Fondly,
Christi



I am entering my Shaker Stars of the Season card in the following challenges:
Crafty Girlz Challenges - M, Nov, Anything Goes - optional Christmas
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas - Always Anything Christmas Goes
Happy Little Stampers Christmas Challenge - M, Anything Goes - optional Tag
Stemplegartden - #67, It's Almost Christmas
Allsorts - #442, Glitter (card)
Modsquad - Merry & Bright
The Sisterhood of Crafters - M, Let the Sparkle Fly!
a2z Scrapbooking - M, Winter
Creative Inspiration Blog - #283, Sparkle



12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Christi. Lovely layout and DP. Love your shaker card. Thanks for sharing with us at HLS for our November Christmas Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christi, what a wonderful shaker card and great to show how you made it. Just a wonderful Christmas Card with special effect ;-).

    We are very happy that you take part at the Stempelgarten Challenge. To participate in the draw of the prize and the Top 3, you have to follow the challenge rules. Unfortunately, you have combined more than 8 challenges in total and cannot take part in the draw this time. I am so sorry, it's such a pity. We would be delighted if you join in again next time :-)

    Hugs Claudia
    DT Stempelgarten challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic shaker card. Love the stars. So glad you joined us at A2Z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous, I love the sparkle x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely sparkly shaker card.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'Glitter' challenge this week and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Love the star shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The star works well as your shaker element.
    Thanks for sharing with us at HLS Anything Goes with dies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your fun shaker! Such a pretty card.Thanks for sharing at Happy Little Stampers, so happy you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful shaker. Gorgeous PP. Thanks so much for linking up and playing with us at Happy Little Stampers November Christmas Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is great--I still can't do a decent shaker card! thanks for joining in at a2z!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)