Followers

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Simple Snowflake Cards

Hello everyone, I hope this post finds you and yours doing well.  I have a confession.  I'm am addicted to Oxide Inks.  I find myself designing cards around the inks, saying "how can I use them"?, "will they look good in this application"? - I'm just glad there are so many ways to use them and that the palette has SO many cool colors! These cards are a remake of an oldie but goodie technique.  There are numerous ways we used embossing powder and various inks and techniques on our cards; just do a google search on embossing powder techniques and you will find enough information to keep you busy for a while.  I honestly never put much stock in white embossing powder; it NEVER worked for me, always leaving white spots on my cardstock, but this year I decided to try it again.  I started using a quality embossing powder and it made all the difference!  Anyway, this card was SO easy to make, you get a twofer!  Enjoy!



What I Used to Make my Card:
White Card Base

Ranger/Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Paper, half a sheet
Oxide Inks in Salty Ocean, Seedless Preserves, Peacock Feathers & Wilted Violet
Mini Swirly Snowflakes, CMS320
Sentiment from Scribbly Christmas, CMS249
Distress Ink in Blueprint Sketch
Simon Says Stamp White Embossing Powder, Fine
Embossing Ink
MISTI
Mini Blending Tool
Ranger Distress Sprayer

I used almost the whole half a sheet of the watercolor paper.  My first intention was to stamp the snowflakes randomly, but each of them are truly works of art on their own, so I just used the six smallest in the set.  I stamped all six on one end of the paper, with the help of my MISTI {watercolor paper sucks up ink so fast, I always re-stamp my image a few times}.  I turned the paper around and did the same thing on the other end.  There was about 3/4" to an inch of paper in the middle, between the two designs.  I proceeded to emboss all the flakes
Onefer :)
with the white embossing powder {and FYI, I have used clear embossing powder on another project and it just doesn't give me the crispness I like}.  Once my flakes were embossed and cooled, I went to town with the Oxides.


I smooshed, dotted and generally went nutty with the Oxides and my blending tool.  I spritzed water, mopped it up, inked, spritzed a gazillion times until I liked the colors.  Your white embossing may look a bit faded, but once the Oxides dry, your embossing will pop right out.  I trimmed each snowflake panel and adhered them to white card bases.  Lastly, I used Blueprint Sketch Distress Ink and the sentiment, which I stamped in the lower right hand corner.  

The freshness of the pastel colors and the pop of the white snowflakes really appeal to my sense of being festive.  I adore trying to make cards and such without using traditional holiday colors and I think these will brighten someone's day; essential once the weather causes those dreary wintry grey days.  Thank you so much for visiting and I hope your holiday season is fabulous! Christi

I am entering my Simple Snowflake Cards in the following challenges:
Moo-Mania - Christmas
Muse: Christmas Visions - Any Holiday Card
Stampavie - #296, Christmas 
Addicted to Stamps - #159, Christmas
Delicious Doodles - Christmas - Non-Traditional Colors
Just For Fun Rubber Stamps - Happy Everything!

5 comments:

  1. Just beaitiful - fabulous depth !
    Thank you for joiningn Moo Mania & More!
    Merry Christmas
    Susi
    DT Moo Mania & More

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh these are yummy! Do you think we should start up an Oxides Anonymous group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning!
    Merry Christmas !🎄🎅⛄

    hugs , Fiki

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Love the colourful 'sky'! Thanks so much for joining us at MCV! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)