Followers

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Plane and Simple

I get a huge kick out of a good play on words {almost as much as a good snarky sentiment} and this card just makes me smile!  It's difficult for me to make a sweet card that isn't too feminine looking - with all that pink and hearts and stuff.  But this year I am determined to make a "manly" lovey card for Valentine's Day; I think I did a good job, what do you think?



What I Used to Make my Card:
White Card Base
DCWV Maps, Text and Ledgers 8" x 8" Stack, #CS-019-00018
Lawn Fawn Plane and Simple stamps, #LF1409
Lawn Fawn Plane and Simple dies, #LF1410
Lawn Fawn Candy Hearts, #LF1827
Tutti Designs Scalloped Stitched Nesting Circles, #TUTTI-419
Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black
VersaMark Ink
Simon Says Stamp White Fine Detail Embossing Powder
Watercolor Paper {I use this}
Zig Clean Color Brush Markers
White & Red scrap card
Vellum

I started by making a collage with a bunch of the papers from DCWV.  I ripped up some of the maps and collaged them on scrap white paper.  Then I trimmed the panel down and attached it to a white card base.  I didn't want anything to be recognizable on the map and ripping up the papers and mixing them up worked beautifully to get the background I wanted.

Although this is an older stamp set, this is the first time I've used it.  What better occasion than Valentine's Day or even just an every day "I love you" card to break out a some new goodies?  I love the planes and the puffy clouds, especially the puffy heart exhaust.  I think this set is perfect for a masculine card as it gets the point across without being too frilly and girly; plus you can always raise the cuteness factor by giving your clouds one of those adorable smiley faces that are included in the set.  Once all the images were stamped, colored, and cut, I realized I
Another Peek
had a dilemma.  How to add all the elements without covering up the map? I suppose I could have made a larger card but I am so used to designing for an A2 {4 1/4" x 5 1/2"} size card that I honestly didn't even think of making a larger card until I was faced with the placement of the pieces.  After some thought, I chose to use vellum to act as a buffer between the map and the components of the card.   I just bought some new Tutti Designs dies {and I HAD to try them out!} so I used the scalloped circle die for the vellum.  I attached the vellum to the card, hiding the adhesive under the clouds, plane, and heart.  I embossed part of the sentiment with white embossing powder and added the heart with white scrap layered behind it to finish it off.


And there is my "manly" love card.  I am pleased with the design and I think the recipient is going to enjoy it as well.  What do you use to design a masculine card?  I'd love to hear your tips and tricks.  Just leave me a comment and be sure to leave your contact information so I can visit you back.  Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you soon! Fondly, Christi

I am entering my Plane and Simple card in the following challenges:
Lawn Fawnatics - #45, Lots of Love {graphic below}
Unicorn Challenge -M, #39, Things with Wings
Cardz for Guyz - #211, Trains, Planes & Automobiles
Work it Wednesday - Something New {the stamp & dies are new to me}
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Have a Heart
Southern Girls Challenge - Love is in the Air 
Moving Along with the Times - Have a Heart
Dies R Us - Anything New {the stamp & dies are new to me}


9 comments:

  1. You did a great job Christi! Very cute! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Anything NEW’ challenge at Dies R Us. Good Luck and please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, such a sweet Valentine card with the plane, heart cloud, and die cut heart! Thanks so much for joining us at Dies R Us for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card - love the way you put it together.

    Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this card. When I get back to card making (I had to stop to work on income taxes and working on my new youtube channel)I want to utilize maps in my cards. I have been thinking about it for awhile and your card inspired me to try it (as soon as I have time). I don't have the airplane stamp though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! Thanks for joining us at Unicorn. Have a nice day,.. Succes!!
    DT Anneke

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOOOVE that map paper in the background!! what a PERFECT patterned paper for that plane scene!! love it!!! sooooo cute! Thank you so much for playing along with the Lawn Fawnatics Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your play on words! Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at Southern Girls Challenge - DT Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the use of the map on your card! Perfect! Thanks for joining us at Lawn Fawnatics!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)