Translate

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Bah Humbug!



I made this card for Country View Crafts  December challenge called Bah Humbug.  I was lucky enough to win the October challenge and they asked if I wanted to be the Guest Designer for the month of December.  As soon as I heard the challenge theme, I signed right up! It took us a while to get all the details together with the time difference and all, but we made it work!



To make this card you will need the following materials: 

  • 1 piece of white cardstock
  • 1 piece of black cardstock
  • 1 pieces of red cardstock
  • “When Santa got Stuck in the Chimney” cutfile by Bird
  • 1 piece of cardstock to stick the card onto - optional (I used the light blue to simulate the sky)
  • Pop Dots - optional (if you don't stick the card onto another piece of cardstock you don't need these)
  • Wendy Vecchi’s Bricks Stencil
  • Wendy Vecchi’s Archival ink in Red Geranium
  • Distress Marker in Fired Brick
  • Distress Ink in Walnut Stain
  • Adhesive of your choice

 I put the card together by doing this:

1.  Cut “When Santa got Stuck in the Chimney” cut file card by Bird 3 times:

1 in white cardstock, 1 in black cardstock & 1 in red cardstock (I used my Silhouette CAMEO, but she makes files so practically any machine can cut it or if you need to you can access the file in Adobe (pdf) and hand cut it). Also, now that I know how to put the card together I wouldn’t need to cut out 3 entire designs but I find for my first time it is easier to have all the options available (and as you’ll read, this was a good thing).


2.The black cardstock is what I used for my base card and where I attached all the pieces.  


3. Before I added the chimney base, I stenciled bricks on it using Wendy Vecchi’s   Bricks stencil & Wendy Vecchi’s Archival Ink in Red Geranium.  Because the color was so subtle, I outlined the bricks with Tim Holtz’s Distress Marker in Fired Brick.


4. Then I attached the top of the chimney & the snow that goes on the top.


5. I then edged the chimney with Distress Ink in Walnut Stain to give it some depth.


6. For some reason I could only find one of Santa’s pant legs in red, so I took the red base card and cut his legs off and used those instead. Then I put the snow on the legs in between the pants and his boots.  I think a bit of glitter would look cute to sparkle up the snow (I may do this later). 

While you don't have to add the card to a base I thought since I am going to mail this (in fact, the person should have it by now!) I wanted the card to be a bit sturdier so I attached the cutfile card to the light blue cardstock "background".
Monster inspecting the card without the backing
And the finished card!
I can feel Santa's frustration about being stuck in the chimney - I know I feel that way sometimes when the crunch of the season is upon us! But, if it isn't done by today, then it isn't going to get done in time (that's my theory anyway) and I can always make Happy Winter cards and such for the people I didn't get to.

I wish all of you good health, good cheer and a wonderful holiday and a happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Love this, I love Birds files too, I was a bit intimidated by this one too, you pulled it off splendidly! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think - and be sure to leave your blog info so I can come and visit you ~ Thanks!