Followers

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Ornaments



Since it is my week to post a project for Anything But a Card Challenge Blog and the current challenge is “Anything Goes, with a Holiday Twist” I thought these ornaments I made fit the bill perfectly.  I love to decorate chipboard and book board shapes and I have built up quite a stash of them over the years.  Classic case of “I like these SO much that I don’t want to use them” - I am really bad at that when it comes to paper; but I have employed a trick to make me use it – I just cut it. Even if I cut off a small square, it’s been cut and therefore loses some of its power and allows me to use it. It seems to work with other items, too, but instead of cutting, I open the package.  Whatever mind games I play with myself, it works for me!  So I tore open my drawer of shapes and dug right in, determined I was going to use something I had hoarded. 

I searched in the stash and found a pack of Buck Naked Ornaments from Cosmo Cricket.  When I searched the Cosmo Cricket website, I couldn’t find them, but if you do a search on the internet, various suppliers will come up.  I must have had these things for at least 10 years and had forgotten all about them.  I opened the pack and selected a few of the ornaments and snowflakes to play with. As always, I gessoed the board before I did anything. As usual, I knew I wanted to use them, but had no clue as to what they’d become. 
All gessoed up & ready to party!
I started the Angel Ornament the week I lost my cat Spike and before I knew that I’d had to send Boo to join him at the Rainbow Bridge (for those of you who aren’t familiar with the Rainbow Bridge click HERE, it will take you to a site where the poem is – but be warned – it is emotional! You may want to bookmark it and read it after the Holidays!). I first painted the ornament red but I didn’t like it at all.  It wasn't a deep red like I wanted, more like an orange red –

The red I didn't like

Blue is one of my favorite colors and JacquardProducts makes the most beautiful blue paint called  Lumiere Pearl Blue, so that is what I decided to use, ditch the red and go with the blue. I painted it and set it aside to dry while I searched for an image to put inside the circle.  I found the beautiful angel in my pile, and it is actually wrapping paper that I picked up a while back at the wonderful dollar store.  I cut the image to size.  I also felt that since it was wrapping paper I wanted to protect the image, so I used my Silhouette CAMEO to cut a circle that fit in the ornament out of acetate.  Once my ornament was dry, I glued the image and the acetate down and covered it with the other ornament.  Glued that together and finished off with a piece of gold ribbon.  Now I have a tribute of my kitties (although I do plan on making something else with their pictures and names on it).  I am very happy with how this turned out and I have it hanging in my craft room since we won’t be having a holiday tree.  We had decided that with the kitten (and now 2 new cats - more on them later) having a tree is just too much this year but I will have one next year!
Sorry I didn't take many pictures while making this!
 The snowflake came from the same pack of Cosmo Cricket book board ornaments.  There are few other snowflake shapes, but this one called to me.  Wasn't sure what color I wanted to paint the snowflake, so I dug through my acrylic paints and found paint by Folk Art called Metallic Champagne – I loved champagne when I was younger (hic) and I like the subtle sparkle of this paint, so the red became metallic champagne.  
I often leave works in progress on my tables so I can see them and when an idea strikes I can work on the project, providing I can find it – my room is organized chaos, but my two female cats have decided they like to play with my goodies as much as I do! Because of that, I do have to be careful about what I leave out. I have some gold ribbon that went perfectly with the pale gold so I wove that through the snowflake. 
 Please ignore the fact that the snowflake looks like a darker gold
 I loved it, but it needed some bling. I found a pack of gems by Darice and I chose to put them around the flake and put a larger one in the middle.  Even though the gems have self adhesive on them, I always add a dab of glue just to make sure. I feel like the snowflake came out looking very elegant and it has also has a home in my room, until next year.
 Tada! With help from Manny once again, here is my finished snowflake
 
I hope you enjoyed my ornaments! They were a pleasure to make – I love to play and decorate naked chipboard - and very easy and fun!  
Don't forget to link up your creations to the Anything But a Card blog! It's inspiring to see how everyone interprets the theme and you just might win!

I would also like to enter my creations in the following challenges:
Stampin with the Dragon - Gifts & Ornaments
Crafting for all Seasons - Christmas, Anything but a Card
Rhedd & Rosie Challenges - Use old Stash (the ornaments are at least 10 years old and mentioned in my post)

11 comments:

  1. Love your ornaments - I've never seen those chipboard shapes, they look like a good piece of stash to have. So funny about your paper - I'm just the same although I am getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisette, I have some paper that I have had since I started crafting that I just cannot use. . .I keep telling myself that I will use it once the perfect project comes up, but, truthfully I have it put away and I forget what I have!! LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi, the last one is my favourite! a great addition to your tree! Many thanks for entering the Rhedd and Rosie's Challenge and good luck! Melissa (DT) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa - I have to admit I like the gold star one better, too :) Thanks for popping by :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing these lovely Christmas ornaments with us at Rhedd and Rosie's challenge, good luck! Wendy DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christi your ornaments are lovely. It is great to add a little each year isn't it! I hope Christmas brings you much that is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie!! I appreciate you taking time to leave me such a lovely comment ~

      Delete
  5. Thank you for joining our "Christmas, anything but a card" challenge at CFAS with your beautiful ornaments. Best wishes for 2014 and good luck. Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This such a beautiful Christmas Ornament Christi, thank you for playing at Crafting For All Seasons this time!
    Have a wonderful new year.

    Hugs,

    Milnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty Christmas Ornaments. Wonderful Project.
    Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons
    Hugs Elfie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)