Followers

Monday, December 9, 2013

Winter Birthday Card (Renee's Card)



I have a close friend who had a birthday December 1.  I always try my hardest to send a birthday card since I know that her birthday often gets rolled into Christmas.  I made this simple birthday card using one of my favorite paper companies Die Cuts with a View (DCWV).  I actually went on a card binge one night and made a bunch with this same paper stack (so you will be seeing more) but this particular card was made for Renee. I love how papers in this stack can be either used for so many seasons – today it looks like a chilly winter card but the beautiful muted colors can really be adapted for most any occasion.

I used the following supplies:

  • Card Base in Off White
  • Section of Sheer white ribbon, 1 ½” wide
  • Birthday Wishes stamp from SU! Sincere Salutations
  • Small piece of white cardstock for sentiment
  • Die Cuts from Spellbinders, Labels 14
  • DCWV Linen Closet Stack
  • Martha Stewart Corner Punch
  • Distress Ink in Weathered Wood
  • Pop Dots

I always stamp my sentiment and then die cut since I can line it up SO much easier that way, especially with all of my “old fashioned” wood mounted stamps.  So I stamped my Happy Birthday in Weathered Wood on white cardstock and then chose the die that fit best of the Labels 14.  I picked a pretty light blue paper with darker blue dots on it, (the dots are almost like enamel) for the second die cut and used pop dots to add the sentiment die cut. 

This is the cardstock I used for the second layer - I could NOT capture the color and the dots, so I chose to focus on the dots - if you look sort of in the middle you can see how they are raised.  The color is truer in the pictures below.



I chose a piece of cardstock with a tan base, but lots of sparkle, from the stack to use as a third and final layer, punched the corners with a MS corner punch (I didn’t label the punches before I tossed the packaging – I do plan on labeling them one of these days).  I then wrapped the ribbon around that third layer, put the card together and I was done! 
Tada! The finished card.  The ribbon looks tan but it really is a sheer white.
I hope you can see how the colors work together.
 
It’s funny; I was never a big fan of packaged papers until I got this particular stack.  The night I went on my card binge I choose some inks that complimented the paper, picked out some of my favorite sentiments from Tim Holtz, Quietfire Design, Wendy Vecchi, Stampin' Up! and various other stamp companies, had all my dies out and I just went wild.  I will be showing you my card binge results after the holidays and I think you will like what I created as much as I do and perhaps you will look at your papers with a different view.

I hope you enjoyed this tiny tutorial! Blessings!

I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
Stamping Sensations - (Monthly Challenge for December) Free & Easy

Allsorts Challenge Blog - Week #236 Anything But Christmas 
Die Cut Divas - Nov/Dec Challenge Let's Celebrate!
Crafty Creations Challenges - Challenge 251 Anything Except Christmas
Emergency Crafters - (Monthly Challenge for December) Anything But Christmas

Crafting Musketeers - Challenge #8 Layer it Up!

7 comments:

  1. You have created the most delightful card which is perfect for our theme this week.

    Thanks so much for joining in at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty card. I'm sure your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so gorgeous, thanks for joining us at Allsorts. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about papers. I just got a pack and I love LOVE the papers. LOL. Delightful card and so glad you could join us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card for Crafting Musketeers 'layer it up' challenge, Hazel, DT Crafting Musketeers x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christi, such a lovely card. Thank you for joining us at Emergency Crafters ~Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining Stamping Sensations with this great entry, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)