Followers

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Marvelous Metals at Twofers ~ Challenge #12

Hello crafters! Welcome to my post featuring the new challenge at Twofers, challenge #12, Metal, chosen by Zoe. This time I took the theme literal and made an embellishment out of metal! Here is my project, which could be hung on a wall, stood on an easel or framed:


What I Used to Make my Project:
White Card
Fredrix 4" x 6" Canvas Panel, painted prior
Tin (I used a soda can)
Copics: G17, V09, RV04, R29
Tria Marker in V564 (pantone purple)
Spellbinders Inspire Die Plum Blossom, IN-046
DieNamics MFT Pierced Oval Stax, MFT-521
Sentiment from Hero Arts, C2768 Moments (disc.)
Thin Gold Decorative Paper
Embossing Fluid
Embossing Powder in Gold


The first step in making this project is getting the tin can ready.  I rinsed the
The die taped to the tin, & the tin taped to the metal
adapter.  You'll have to tape the tin down because it
will keep rolling up on you.
can out thoroughly, set it out to dry overnight and then cut the can with tin 
snips (wearing gloves AND goggles!), removing the top and bottom.  That leaves you with a nice piece of tin to work with.  I have cut tin with dies before and the only thing that is different is you have to use a metal plate adapter when you are using low profile dies.  I have found that the "regular" dies from Tim Holtz will cut the tin without a plate but the low profile dies seem to need that extra push.  I bought mine at a stamp convention from Tesslar Stamps/Scrapbook USA, but I imagine you can get them from other sources as well.  
The die cut with one coat of green alcohol ink

Next you want to paint your 4" x 6" canvas panel.  Mine was already painted; I used acrylic paint, I think it was called Champagne Gold, but it was months ago. If you have to paint your panel, set it aside to dry and start coloring your tin die cut.

I wasn't sure that the Copics and Tria markers would work on the tin, but I was pleasantly surprised at how cool the
Close up of the flowers
colors blended together.  Be very careful holding the die cut, it is VERY sharp and while it appears harmless, it isn't.  I held mine down while coloring it, and I started with the branches, which I colored green.  I then colored the rest of the die, using pinks for the flower buds, pinks & purples for the flowers and red for the bird (I do love Cardinals!).

I found that the ink would sort of swirl together, giving the appearance of texture.  I let the ink dry a bit, but I did go over the die quite a few times to get the dept of color I wanted.  While I was coloring the die I moved on to getting the rest of the piece ready.

I cut the oval die cut out and the metallic gold paper. Then I embossed the sentiment using gold embossing powder.  While the stamp isn't manufactured any more, you can find it online.  I trimmed the sentiment, placed everything where I thought I wanted it to go and glued the gold background paper onto the panel, then the sentiment. 

Once I thought the tin die cut was colored enough, I glued it onto the oval and set it under the floor tiles I have on my desk.  The tin really didn't want to stay
Shiny!
straight, having been curled when it was a can, so I needed the weight of the tile to hold it flush with the paper and to ensure the whole die stuck.  I let it sit overnight.

The next day I attached the oval to the panel and I was done.  I love reusing items that would just be thrown out, and since we don't have bottle or can returns here in Colorado, I saved this can from the landfill.  Even if you do have can returns, it's worth the few cents to have a little crafty fun.  I'll be coloring with alcohol inks on tin more now that I saw how the inks reacted with each other.  I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and got some inspiration to join our Metal theme at Twofers.  You have TWO WEEKS to enter your project, just make sure you follow the rules, and you could win a $20 gift certificate to Alleystamps - yes, you can even pre-order all the new goodies coming out at CHA right now!!   

If you do have a moment, please stop by and marvel at the creations my wonderful teammates have made; you can visit Jane here and Zoe here.  Thanks so much for visiting and I'd love to hear what you think so please leave me a comment - Fondly ~ Christi 

I am entering my Marvelous Metals project in the following Challenges:
C.R.A.F.T. Challenge - #346 Not a Card
Addicted to Stamps - #176, Anything Goes
Scrappy Land - #33, Anything Goes (you carry Spellbinders)
Die Cuttin Diva's - #248, Tweet, Tweet Use a Bird
Stamping Sensations (M) - Anything Goes with a die(s)
Create And Inspire -#37, Anything Goes

21 comments:

  1. Such a lovely card! Thanks for joining us at Die Cuttin' Divas this week.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you are brave girl - cutting a tin can even with safety precautions. I wanted to mention that sizzix (tim) has a metal "precision" cutting plate for the intricate dies. i bet that would work for metal pieces like you were describing.

    by the way, love your piece - my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most likely right that the precision plate would work - I never thought of it and it depends on how much I spent if I would be willing to give it a try - LOL LOL - Thank you SO much for your sweet comments my friend - you are a treasure XOXO

      Delete
  3. A lovely image and colours Christi.

    Many thanks for sharing your lovely creation with us at Stamping Sensation challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear ... What a lovely canvas. I love the idea of re-using cans. And the effect of the die cut metal pieces dyed with alcohol inks is AMAZING..
    Thank you for sharing and for doing a step-by-step tuto..
    Hugs from Monica... Spain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica!! SO good to see you again! Do try this, as long as your careful about the sharp edges it's really fun - and the colors look even better in person :)

      Delete
  5. This wall hanging absolutely blew me away I just love everything about it. Great tut. as well hun you always explain everything so well. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwww you are always such a great support to me Zoe. XO

      Delete
  6. Love the effect of the inks on the metal. Thanks for sharing your beautiful project with us at Stamping Sensations.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally in love with this, the die cut and inked metal is amazing - I wish I could reach out and touch it!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll get it in your next care package :) I found some sequins that I think you will LOVE!! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Wow, this is so cool! Thank you so much for your tutorial and for playing with us at ATSM. Creative regards from stempelfrida

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful design! Love the delicate die- cut image. Thank you for sharing at ATSM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, wow! This is such a cool project, Christi--love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Greta - I appreciate your support :) xo

      Delete
  11. Thanks for joining Stamping Sensations with this great entry, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)