Followers

Monday, February 1, 2021

Sending Hugs Shaker Card

This card has been in the works for a while and it is actually a comedy of errors.  While I am pleased with the end result, the picture I had in my mind's eye was a little different.  Here is what I used and how I made the card {including what went wrong!}


What I Used to Make My Card:
White Card Base
Dark Pink Glitter Card
Various Shades of Pink Card
Birch Press Designs Adora Die Set, #56093
Birch Press Designs Big Hugs Sugar Script Die, #57138
Birch Press Designs Just Because Stamps, #CL8124 {retired but available}
Gina K Amalgam Ink Pad in Obsidian Ink
Thick White Card
Acetate
Shaker Material from Stash {lips sequins, red cup sequins, red seed beads}

I started this card because I wanted to make a shaker card using the beautiful Birch Press Design Dies, so I cut the three layered dies out of glitter and colored cardstock, then proceeded to make a base out of five or six cuts using only the bottom die.  I used a circle die to cut a piece of acetate, attached that to the top portion of the shaker and set the 2 pieces {the top and the stacked bottom} aside to dry.  When I went to assemble the shaker itself, I could not find the bottom stacked piece.  I don't know if you have ever made a shaker card this way, using a stacked piece, but it isn't difficult.  It is time consuming, especially using an intricate die such as this. I looked everywhere; it was gone and the cats were not talking.  So I made another stacked piece and set that aside to dry.  This time when I went to assemble the shaker everything was there and I moved on.

I started this card sometime in December and when it came time to attach the shaker piece onto a card base, I decided white looked best so I glued the shaker onto a white card base.  Then came time for the sentiment.  I knew what I wanted to use.  I grabbed my Platform to stamp "sending" directly on the card and I couldn't do it.  Where I had already glued the shaker was causing the Platform to not make contact with the card.  I wrestled with this for a good amount of time, moving the card around, thinking if I wanted to risk stamping without the Platform {the old way; I am NOT good at the old way of stamping. I shudder to think of all the paper and ink I wasted trying to get a good impression.  And I can't use the old stamp positioners. I have two of them gathering dust somewhere and I just cannot get them to work properly} so I resorted to putting the entire sentiment on a separate piece of card and attaching that to the card base.  Normally I would have worked all of these tiny issues out prior to gluing anything down but because I didn't want to lose the shaker, I didn't even think of the possible sentiment issues.  To a non-crafter this is NOT a big issue.  I tried to talk to my roommate about it to get some sympathy and he just didn't get it.  Anyway, I stamped my sentiment and used the hugs die.  As a little bit of bling, I used a few of the hearts left over from making the shaker.  I can promise you I will never jump the gun like this again!  I blame the fact that I worked on it, set it aside, then worked a little more, instead of doing my usual work style and finishing the card within a week of starting it.  I would have liked the card better if the stamping and die cut were literally on the card, but it is what it is.

I know we all have little fails and I'd love to hear about some of yours below.  Maybe the one fail that sticks out in your mind is not so much for what went wrong but why.  Oh, and I did find the first stacked portion I made.  Under the paper cutter!  I still suspect the cats had something to do with it but until I install those nanny cams, I just need to move on.  Thank you so much for reading all of this and I know YOU feel for me!  Fondly, Christi

I am entering my card in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp, Monday Challenge - Love/Hearts
Use Your Stuff, #145 - Hearts
Sweet Stampin'  - Love
Color Hues, #11 - Red and Pink
Dies R Us, #162 - Anything Goes
Crafting Happiness, #82 - Hearts



8 comments:

  1. The finished result is fabulous- you got there in the end! Thanks for sharing you beautiful card at Sweet Stampin'- it's perfect for this fortnight's 'love' challenge.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty card. I love the shaker aspect and the large sentiment. Thanks for joining our hearts challenge this week at Use Your Stuff!
    Tammy DT Co-ordinator

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card! Love the shaker element! Thank you so much for playing along with us at the Color Hues Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shaker card! I hope you'll play along with this week in our new SWEET challenge that started today.
    :) Janis
    Crafting Happiness Challenges, DT & Owner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love shaker element. I know how you feel about a comedy of errors. That was what my card was like for this challenge. Thanks for participating

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable shaker card! Thanks so much for linking up to the DRU "Anything Goes" challenge. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you persevered with your shaker; it's absolutely lovely! Thank you for joining us at Colour Hues!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shaker card - that die is lovely.

    Thanks for joining us at the Use Your Stuff Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)